Sunday, November 02, 2008

Go Big or Go Home

or, Where I Go Off the Deep End



Stitcher's Guild is hosting the 2009 SWAP Contest, and I, being the insanely optimistic person I am, decided to add one.more.thing to my plate.

Hey, I need the clothes, and I need the space the stash is taking up... and this time we've got 6 months to do it instead of 4.

Then again, you'll notice that not one thing on that storyboard has a pattern name attached to it. The pants I've already drafted and used, so they shouldn't cause too much difficulty. The mint and chocolate top should be able to use the same redraft I used for the black knit top (and matching yoga pants) earlier this year. The red skirt has been drafted (although it may have been drafted for knee length), but not tested - same with the pleated skirt. The rest I have to come up with from scratch :P. I'm hoping that I'll have time to do that as well as fit in DH's t-shirt that's coming out of the same black knit as the turtleneck (both of which I'll have to come up with patterns for - how did I get a jeans and suit patterns for DH but not a knit t-shirt one???).

Yes, it would be simpler to buy patterns - but while we're spending money, it would have been a lot simpler to buy fabric as well - as is pretty obvious up there, I had a hard time finding enough matching stuff for a whole wardrobe! But that's not the way it works in this house - we make do. Actually the storyboard has too many tops and bottoms (only need 4 bottoms and 6 tops), because I didn't know how much I could squeak out of each piece of fabric. I may end up with very nicely coordinating brown-ecru-tan-black-charcoal-white wardrobe without trouble - but what would be the fun of that ;). One thing about limits - things tend to be a lot more interesting!!

(For those who don't know about SWAP - here's the nutshell: SWAP="Sewing With a Plan". The basics that started this contest were in an Australian Stitches series of magazine articles. The SG link above explains the rules for the 2009 contest, but basically you create 4 bottoms, 6 tops, and a jacket/cardigan/vest/coat, where all the tops have to work with all the bottoms, and the jacket has to work with everything - it stretches your wearing options and makes coordinating in the morning much easier. It also makes for fascinating watching - this isn't the way people normally sew!)

1 comment:

PurpleSage said...

My, my, you do like challenges!!!!

I do love your storyboard -- fabulous!!