Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Fall Down Seven Times...

get up eight.

Wouldn't think this little ensemble would have gotten the better of me, would you?


First there was the little problem with lack of the black knit fabric...


If you notice, the pant legs are folded up, and the back pant yoke is folded in half and shoved in the middle of the other pieces!

I cut out the pants without incident. Started in on the shirt, got the sleeves cut out before I remembered that I've done this Jalie T many times, and while it's a bit big with extra-stretchy fabric, it's a little tight with the less stretchy stuff, and this only barely stretchy (10 percent maybe?).

The sleeves are definitely going to be a problem.

So I go back to the three other pieces (I redesigned the front to have a cross-over empire waist), and added a half inch or an inch at the centre front and centre back for the extra ease - see how annoyed I was? I didn't even write it down! Then hunted desperately through the remnants for scraps big enough to add to the under-sleeve seam to widen them.

OK, so first order of business: shoulder seams and neck binding. Did find a strip of fabric along the cross grain an inch wide to make an easy serged-on binding. Lined up the overlapped bodice pieces with the bottom front piece - serged once, found it rippled on me - painstakingly pulled out all the serger threads and did it again (I put the feed on slight gather this time to make up for the stretch). Compared the front to the back - #@$%#$. Notice on the bottom of my redrafted front piece a note that I extended the hem by over two inches - that would have been something to remember when I use the old back piece, wouldn't it? Probably wouldn't have had enough room on the fabric anyway, but still. Snip. Hey - I might be able to use that extra piece to make cuffs! (Barely, but it worked!!)

Presenting: extra wide and shortened body, sleeves with underarm panels, and squeaked out cuffs

Hey, not bad. Would have to wear a tank underneath if I was doing anything athletic in it, but works in a lay-about, extra jammies kind of way!

Pants. Oh, I do shudder at that word!

The yoke went together fine. It's the second time I've made this pattern, so I knew a trick for the tie (which is the only thing holding these pants up) - I made two short ties and attached them to half-inch elastic. Having the back yoke in two pieces isn't a problem at all, and the non-fray characteristic of the fabric meant I just cut slots for the tie and didn't bother with buttonholes (who needs to deal with the stretch on those?). Then I basted together the legs and ummm...



Not my best look. I had chopped a lot off the sides of my last pair, but those were extremely stretchy - I chopped all the way along the sides, including the yoke, on that pair. The top bit of these was ok. I tried playing around with raising the hemline, but unless I was going for the gaucho look, it wasn't happening. So more and more of the bottom sides got pinned out until they started looking presentable.

A total of 6 inches around removed from the bottom of each leg and:


Eh. Not sure whether I should have left the length as is - might try raising it later. But they work. And I'm done!!!

Details (ha! not enough already?): top is a modified Jalie 2005 t-shirt sizes V and W if I remember right, pants are modified Simplicity 5353 (out of print), both done in a patterned cotton knit.

2 comments:

RenoAddicts said...

Wow! Looks great! Got to be an award for using every possible scrap of fabric. It's just amazing the effect of the different width in pant legs.

Theresa said...

You cut out like I do! Heaven forbid I should actually follow the cutting directions. What a waste of fabric. Now if only my creations turned out as nicely as yours!