Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Fixed

It's always good to work on a cold-weather item while you are taunting the weather fairies with making a sundress in the last days of August ;). I decided it was time to pull out my Rogue pullover and fix the sleeves. Something went wrong the first time around - I thought it might have been a bad row gauge, but since the body worked out fine, I'm thinking I increased too fast or some such thing (I have a tendancy to knit sleeves at the same time, so while they were both wrong, they were wrong together!). Of course, I have been known to change my gauge as I go... one day I'll start checking before I get so far! The upshot was a completed heavy wool sweater with 3/4 length sleeves. Which apparently looked ok, but certainly didn't function well in a Canadian climate.



The original story goes like this. I saw someone else's version of Rogue, made from recycled sweater yarn, in a deep red colour. Instant love. And I don't usually choose red for clothing! Enter long wait to find suitable sweater to use as raw materials - Rogue has both cables and a hood, which take up more yarn than stockinette. Finally, after lamenting that the cranberry sweater DH found for me was (a) fair isle, so there was less of the main colour that would normally exist in a sweater that size and (b) thick bulky yarn (I think Rogue calls for aran weight), I started to pull it apart to make a bulky hooded shrug from another pattern.

Excitement ensued when I discovered that the sweater was knit with many strands held together! And lo and behold, 4 was just right for the gauge needed!!!!



Fate also had it that I was just reading Ysolda's walk through the swatching and hem design of a pullover. Now wouldn't the white-turned-pink-in-the-wash yarn from the fair isle sections of the host sweater be perfect for the inside of the hems? I used less strands to effectively make the inside hem smaller, but not have to fiddle too much with the stitch count. Also dropped the twisted knit bit so that I could knit it right on (with the twisted stitches, they do pull in more, but lie, well, twisted - so you have to sew it on how it lies; with straight stitches, I could just k2tog with the main body). Turns out that you are well into the cables by the time this happens, and the cables add more stitches in this pattern - so I just skipped a hem stitch for every cable section. Helped the cables pop out too! I love the speed and neatness of knitting the hem on - got double goosebumps making the kangaroo pocket (you knit the section of the main body up in the pattern of the pocket, then go back and pick up an identical set of stitches from that first row and knit it with the rest of the front up the same height, then knit the pocket stitches and the body stitches together again - Jenna Wilson describes it much better in her pattern!!).



Other than the hem, I think the only change I made was to add an extra repeat of the side cable in order to lengthen the body a little bit. The last two pics are the most colour accurate!



And the upshot of working on a heavy wool sweater at the same time as a light sundress? The weather's been changable ;).

3 comments:

MissKnitty said...

That looks awesome! :)

RenoAddicts said...

Ditto missknitty! A fabulous design and I really like the knit-on hem.

madhatter said...

omg, this is awesome!
a wonderful sweater, and i totally love the hood & the cabled insets!